I spent this week refining some of the techniques taught during the last class. I started by rendering a bunch of new set of assets, playing with different materials, environment maps and vray displacement mod. I wanted something that looked more oppressive, almost threatening. I also wanted the objects to feel more tactile so I experimented with different textures, looking at reference images of fractured glass and ferrofluids.
Now it’s getting interesting. While Ash has dived into Cinema4D. I’ve had a play with C4D but decided to take the opportunity to explore a different route. I’m a 3dsMax man, its core to my everyday production pipeline. That said, I’ve never used it quite the same way that Ash uses C4D. I think theres alot of potential so I’m going to pick up VRay RT, expand my knowledge of VRay lighting, materials and rendering, also perhaps learn some Pflow and generally improve my own 3dsmax workflow. I also have access to a bunch of 3rd party plugins that I think are gonna come in handy.
I spent a few evenings experimenting with VRayRT and wrote a few Maxscripts to help speed up workflow, scripts to quickly save renders, sort layers, setup look at constraints, link modifier gizmo to helpers, etc. Anything to cut out the fiddly bits. Also made a little interface to list and run my scripts from.
After I had a good workflow going I began playing with different materials, set up a few Pflow systems and experimented with some of the different photoshop techniques. I used Magic Bullet’s Looks in photoshop to add things like diffuse lighting, chromatic aberration, film grain and lens distortion.
Finally I put the techniques into practice and produced a full resolution frame.
I’ve used Photoshop plenty, but Illustrator… not so much. After using Photoshop for so long Illustator feels like drawing with my left hand. So here’s some practice, doodling shapes and lines, trying to fill the whole page. Practice, practice, practice….
I’ve been collecting reference images as muse and inspiration as well as for use as textures to composite with renders. Ash also talks through collecting together a selection of fonts. He gives a few parameters for what to look out for but at this stage its hard to know what will work an what won’t so I collected a few different kinds.
I’ve enrolled on Ash Throp’s 8 week course ‘UI and Data Design for Film’. The course has a focus on Illustrator and C4D, neither of which I have much experience with. Ash also has some interesting approaches to creativity through experimentation so theres lots of exciting new things to play with! But first, thumbnails and a Mural.ly of ideas.
A nude study of June Palmer. Check out some close ups and process gifs below.
A portait study of Antonia Thomas
Its done. Finished. Finito.
10 weeks ago Neil & I started on our entry for the Polycount Escape challenge. It seemed like the perfect amount of time, 10 weeks, to be honest I still think it is, but it flew past pretty quickly. We worked pretty steadily up until that last couple of weeks, then with a few late nights, and one all nighter by Neil, we pushed ourselves over the finished line.
I had the intention of blogging the process. But when you’re in thick of it, waist deep in pixels and polygons, blog posts fell by the wayside pretty quickly.
We did keep our thread on Polycount updated, so I’ll be making some post-dated blog posts showing the work in progress. I also hope to come back to it and do a post-mortem and take a look at the things that we have learnt. I also started work on a camera move in Matinee, which I really want to return too and finish.
Below you’ll find the images that formed our final submission.
1 day left and Neil made the observation that with the change of composition and lighting a lot more attention was now being brought to the torii. I woke up this morning to find he’s pulled an all-nighter and completely re-done the model and texture work.Its made a massive difference and they look great!